Saturday 9 April 2016

Deer papercut - now in shop

So I finally did a new papercut! It's been ages as I have been busy with my quilt. I have had some plans rattling around in my head for a while and haven't really been able to get them out...



This isn't the actual project I had in mind but as it is a departure from my usual style and process for papercutting I just wanted to do a quick project to test the water. 

I actually did most of this piece one Sunday evening so it was fast which was really satisfying. 

The black outline approach is new for me...it does add a layer (haha) of complexity but I do like the way it looks like stained glass. 








Here's how it came together:


1. I used a white pen to sketch the
outline of the image and then cut out
the lines..
2. The finished outline - this is all cut
from a single piece of black craft
paper.












3. I started building up the colours inside
the outlines. I started with the foreground
- flowers, deer and worked backwards. 
4. Building up the various layers to
create the background and sense of
depth.






























And...done! I like how it turned out and it was fun to try a new style. I also feel like I have a better idea of how to take forward a bigger project that I am trying work out. Although probably more smaller projects like this are in order before I dive into that so keep posted... 

This piece is now available for sale in my Etsy shop

No comments:

Post a Comment