I made some good progress this weekend, luckily as the baby was due last Friday - luckily the baby is shy and hanging on and buying me some time (thanks baby!).
When I left off I had done most of the elephants - folding in the edges of the various pieces they are comprised of and securing with fusible web.
Next I tackled the sun. I wanted this placed in the top left corner - I find it helpful to have the quilt topper out so I can test composition options:
I used a conveniently yellow piece of scrap paper to check size and placement.
Also at this point I was looking at different options for binding - the red at the bottom was considered and then discarded. I have other plans for red.
Back to the sun - when I tried this I decided that I wanted a spikey (?) sun rather than a smooth round one. Nice. Much more work!
1. I used the paper template to trace a circle of fusible web and yellow fabric with a 1/4 in seam allowance. Two points to note here - first, the little 'v's nicked out of the seam is a good trick to help turn in a round seam. Second, I folded the template circle into eighths to give the width of each of the sun-rays (spikes!)
2. Folding in the seam allowance bit by bit and pressing as I go to secure with the fusible web.
3. All edges folded in and secure, on the reverse side.
4. Right side up - main bit of the sun done!
5. For the spikes/rays I cut out a triangle template with the edges of the same witdth of the folded template in picture 1. I cut out eight triangles of fusible web, and eight triangles of yellow fabric (with a 1/4 inch seam allowance). I placed the triangle of fusible web in the centre of the fabric, nipped the corners off to help with the folding in, and pressed in each edge of the eight triangles.
6. I pinned each of the triangles to the circle and stitched together with invisible stitch.