Monday 29 December 2014

Hand stitched Christmas tree ornaments

This Christmas has been a busy time - For the first time in a few years I feel settled. Having moved from Cardiff to London just shy of 3 years ago and moved 4 times in that period we now have a flat with a 2 year lease and for once I feel like the luxury of gathering up my sewing machine, reams of paper and material is actually worth the hassle of moving it in the end. 

As I mentioned in my first post, this year we had a larger Christmas tree than usual...and we found ourselves a little short on decorations. Having seen some lovely decorations on Etsy I thought I may as put my hand to some as we ploughed through the pre-christmas tv extravaganza of Masterchef and Strictly Come Dancing.

My first attempt was actually last year, and was the paper stars from this tutorial. I love how these turned out and I have a bunch of them on the tree. This year I turned to felt as I had a bunch left over from a previous project so a pudding was my first attempt, it received the all important stamp of approval so I did a few more. 


When I was growing up in Kenya, I always remember putting the first ornament on our family tree - it was always the same one, a little, red, glittery strawberry, so I knew I wanted something similar for my own tree...




Another hit were the robins - some of them ended up looking like Angry Birds but these were pretty popular as Christmas gifts.


I wish I'd started these earlier to get them into the post to folks. I'm hoping that next year I'll remember and maybe even have some extra to put in my shop.


No comments:

Post a Comment